Help- finding that perefct glove

Pre-1970 gloves for that you are looking to sell, trade or looking for.

Help- finding that perefct glove

Postby curious123 » August 9th, 2010, 11:42 am

Hello. You more than likely know more about baseball and gloves than I do and this is precisely why I am posting. I want to know what to look for in terms ofa good glove to take to games to catch fly balls. This is for my husband who has loved the sport since he was old enough to walk around with his first glove. I want to know what years would be good, an appropriate size for a medium to large hand, sites that are legitimate or sites that are scams. I am a current graduate student in nonprofit management and so I cannot spend more than around $150 for the glove. This will be one of many future gloves gifts I am sure as he has gotten me to love the sport and we will be attending many games in the future. Things to know: he is a loyal cubs fan, hates the yankees, really really knows baseball, is an old fashioned love of the sport type, birthday is sept 16 so i need the glove by then. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and your expertise will be mentioned when he gets the present, I am one to give credit where it is due.

many thanks,
a new baseball fan
curious123
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Help- finding that perefct glove

Postby softball66 » August 9th, 2010, 1:25 pm

Hi New baseball fan. Are you looking for a more current glove (like for catching flies for baseball -- or softball) or for a vintage glove? If he's a Cub fan you might try a 1960s to 1980s Cub player endorsed glove that's more top of the line (larger size): Santo, Dawson. If you're wanting a more modern and better glove, check out the Rawlings, Noconas, Wilsons in your price bracket of $150.There are several internet sits (Eastbay) that will carry most of these brands and others. TGC :)
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby kvzbs9 » August 9th, 2010, 8:50 pm

Hello! Is he a right handed thrower or left handed thrower? If you are looking for a vintage type glove, a left handed thrower will be harder to find just because less were made. Billy Williams was an outfielder for the Cub's during the 60's and 70's. I occasionally see his endorsed gloves on eBay. Though the condition may not be new. It would definetly connect with his love for the Cub's! You never know? you may come across one of the collectors in this forum that might have one for sale. As the previous post also mentioned. Andre Dawson was other Cubby! He to played the outfield.

More info -

Most baseball gloves will not be bigger then 12.75 inches. That size glove is generally used by an outfielder. So in terms of a baseball glove for catching fly balls at the game, I would go with 12.75inches to 13.5inches. I also think this size should be suitable for his hand size. Though a 13.5 in my opinion would be considered a softball size glove.

Hope that helps and good luck!!

KV
kvzbs9
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 9th, 2010, 9:07 pm

Sounds like a great gift. As others have mentioned you can go many different routes. If you choose to go the Billy Williams route, I can help you out with a super nice glove.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby swalt1234 » August 9th, 2010, 9:55 pm

Hi I have a nice Wilson A2210 Ernie Banks full size Ball Hawk fielders glove in Ex condition, soft, right hand throw, personally autographed by Mr Banks in sharpie at a card show about 10 years ago. $100 + postage. If he doesn't like it I'll take it back no problem. Email Mark at swalt1234@aol.com
swalt1234
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » August 10th, 2010, 10:03 pm

If you're looking for a brand new one, I've heard good things about this dealer also. He's got quite a selection.

http://www.ballgloves.com/index.htm
okdoak

Postby GloveCrazy » August 14th, 2010, 12:01 pm

Sounds like a good guy if he hates the Yankees. I think you should get him a fat 40s splifinger ... they are an absolute hoot to play catch with, they look significantly different from modern gloves, they are very sturdy and won't lose value playing catch, are very reasonably priced considering their history, and he will get lots of wows when he takes it into the office or to a game. If you go the Ernie Banks route above, which is also a good idea, I can get you a nice playable/displayable 40s splitfinger for the remaining $50 (or can get you a near mint fat 40s for closer to $150, or three different varieties of 40s gloves (different brands, types) for $150). Drop me an email if you want some pictures of a couple of options. Rob glovecrazy@aol.com

Either way, please report back his reaction to us whichever glove you give him.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Return to Vintage Gloves for Sale / Trade / Wanted